Thursday, January 17, 2019

My current fried chicken recipe

As noted previously, I've been on a fried chicken binge that was spurred on by my need/strong desire to use a package of Tazah coating for broasted chicken.

Then things spiraled out of control from there, I started contemplating my own desires out of fried chicken in terms of flavor and texture. Should I try egg? Should I try buttermilk? Can you marinate too long? I spun off from the original goal of just trying broasted chicken to making my own original - monster effort in it's own right.

I think my goal was to replicate fried chicken that my mom had made ONCE when I was young but it had a memorable enough flavor profile.

I cut a leg quarter into 3 pieces to make cooking (and eating all of my test runs) easier.

Let it soak in a marinade of:

2 chopped garlic cloves
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tsp Fish sauce
sprinkle pepper

It hung out in this marinade for 24 hours because the husband wouldn't let me deep dry when I got home late from work.

It got dredged in a flour mix of:

2 Tbsp potato starch
1 Tbsp rice flour
and 1/4 tsp of baking powder

Fry for 12 minutes total, turning at the 6 minute mark.

Then bake for 20 minutes @ 400 F

It was fortunate for this to cap off my fried chicken experimentation because this was awesome. Other than working on residual greasiness, the taste and texture are where I want them to be. I was afraid of it being salty because of all the marinating time, but no - this was awesome.

I would've taken a picture, but I ate it. My cast iron pans are pretty well seasoned now. I'm logging this for my reference, since for the sake of my health, I gotta take a fried chicken break.

No comments:

Post a Comment