Sunday, January 13, 2019

What happened to 2018?

The year went by too fast.

Updates in my cooking life:

- I'm really digging traditional cast iron. I got my husband into playing with it too and he makes a rather lovely Chicago style deep dish pizza. (Did I mention I got married?)

- Thankgiving 2018: Immigration Nation! Yes. We had an immigration themed Thanksgiving and it was awesome! My cousin deboned the turkey and stuffed it with kiampung (Chinese sticky rice). While I thought it was amazing and I hoarded almost all of the turkey leftovers and remaining kiampung, some of our guests actually preferred my stuffing. Compliment? Not so much as stuffing felt more contextually appropriate along with the flavors of Thanksgiving. I clearly didn't emphasize the theme enough. The tamales and pierogis were well received.

- I just broasted chicken for the first time today. It was fun and felt good, but there's a texture goal I'm going for so I'll be experimenting a little more.

Today's go:
- chopped chicken and washed it
- boiled it for 5 minutes in water with 2 tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp salt.
- rubbed in dry coating
- fried for 12 minutes, turning at 6 min mark

Conveniently, my small cast iron pan can fit the 3 pieces I divy the leg quarter into - so I'll get some good experimentation in the mix. I will use an egg wash before coating in flour and for my own tastes, I'll boil the chicken in a higher vinegar salt solution.




No comments:

Post a Comment