Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kitchen MacGyver: Lobster Claws

I got a lobster recently. For a long time, as in my life prior to last Thursday, I've been turned off my the idea of getting a lobster because of the outrageous $24/lb price tag I've had in my head. Thinking those lobsters are dense and thick, each one could probably be anywhere between 2-5 lbs, right?

Despite considering myself a logical person, my ability to apply it escapes me when it comes to lobsters and estimating medical costs.

Turns out, lobsters at the grocery store are all about 1 - 1.5lbs, and they're only $13/lb.

I've also been obsessed with the dish Lobster Newberg ever since it was mentioned in the Stepford Wives. Yes, I'm one of those types that can get obsessed easily. Anyway, after concluding that I was going to get an A in my class, I decided to celebrate by making Lobster Newberg. If I didn't make it then, I'd still always have the thought lingering.

My main issue came about while I was removing the meat from the lobster. I've de-meated blue crabs before, no biggie, but one thing lobster has that crab doesn't is really large front claws. It's only happen once before that I run into the dilemma of not having a claw cracker and this time, I really had issues trying to crack the claws by hand.

Solution:

Giant 4 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup.

- wrap the claws in butcher paper
- pound the claws with enough force to crack them, obviously without damaging the measuring cup.

And I still don't have to buy a claw cracker. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment