Saturday, July 2, 2016

Potato Latkes



This was a recipe that was handed out around last December by a teacher whose class I helped out by tutoring. The teacher was Jewish, so that's how the class ended up eating potato pancakes for show and tell.

As usual, I like posting the original recipes and then I tell how I modified. My modifications will be in parentheses.

Potato Pancakes

-- 3-4 potatoes, scrubbed and/or peeled (I use 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled. The weight is about 1.5 lbs total)

-- 1 medium onion

-- 1 egg

-- 1 tsp baking powder *optional

-- ~1 tsp of salt

-- fresh pepper

-- 1/4 cup flour

-- oil for frying

Grate or put potatoes through a food processor, do the same to the onion. Add egg, salt, pepper, flour, and baking powder. (I grate about 1/2 of my potatoes and then food process the rest, it adds a nice texture.)

Heat oil in a pan or griddle. Add potato mixture and cook until pan side is brownish, flip the pancake and wait for the other side to brown.

Serve with sour cream and apple sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment